Thursday, September 14, 2006

Well, the rain I was so hoping for did not come until late last night so it's gloomy and nasty this morning. Sonny Boy had his game, they won 3-1. Tonight Girly Girl has a game but it will be cancelled, it's supposed to rain all day. If it does get cancelled she will be going back to dance class and she'll be so happy to not have to miss it. Miss Moody found out last night that she will be having another practice Friday night to get ready for their first game Saturday. Needless to say Miss Moody is less than enthused about having practice on Friday because there is a youth dance and practice is going to make her late. But she's going to practice anyway. I am big on the kids attending practice unless they are sick, injured or have other commitments like dance class, Brownie meeting. I have them go to practice for as long as they can and then we'll leave for those commitments or we'll do one week practice, next week dance. A youth dance however, does not get you out of practice.

I had the discussion with Miss Moody regarding her grades. She never has homework or if she does it's not that much. I know she has a study period everyday so she gets work done then but I am a little suspicious. Now she's my one child that has gotten straight A's, she used to be totally into her grades. Until last year. Now she's never received anything less than a B on her report card but I noticed there were more B's showing up then ever before. After talking with her I realized that she was not willing to put the extra work/time into keeping her grades high because that would take time away from her "social life". So we talked or rather I talked about the importance of grades and that her grades were how she was earning her cell phone right now since she's not babysitting anymore. I made sure she understood that if her grades weren't up to par come progress reports, she'd lose the cell phone until they were brought up. She never said a word, she just had that blank look that teenagers get when they really don't want to hear what you have to say. So we'll see.

It's been difficult adjusting to how different she is now, how different our relationship is. We're still close but I'm noticing that she's keeping more to herself, not coming to me as much and I'm trying to respect that. I just pray that she will come to me with the big stuff and she always has but I wonder if she will continue. She's all about her friends now and I want her to be social and have fun while she's young. I guess it's just hard to come to terms with not being as important to her as I once was. I know everything we're going through is completely normal but it doesn't make it any easier. And she's a good kid and I'm thankful for that. Feeling her pull away hurts but I have to loosen my grip, if she's feeling ready to step out, step away I'm going to let her, within reason of course.

Now that I'm experiencing all this with Miss Moody it's making me treasure the moments I have with Sonny Boy. He still likes to hug and kiss me except in front of his friends. He still thinks I'm just the greatest. So I'm enjoying it because I know soon, I'll be chopped liver. I still have some time left with Girly Girl though, she'll hug and kiss me in front of anyone. She still holds my hand and she swears I'm the best mom ever. But before I know it she'll think I'm dumber than dumb. I know I was like that too and then things turned around as I got older, it's just getting through it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Valerie said...

You're still as important to her as ever - even more so - but she's not willing to admit that. Trust me on this one. She knows you'll always be there for her - so she does feel safe with that knowledge. THat is why she's so willing to "test" you right now - because she wants to make sure you still love her, no matter what.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Peggy said...

Friday is Mary from fireflies and frogs birthday. Hope you will stop by her blog and wish her happy birthday

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home