Monday, August 07, 2006

Our trip to Hershey Park was ok. The weather was great, it was hot but not humid. The only problem we had was that the kids could not agree on what rides to go on so they ended up not going on that many. Usually we hit almost every one. I can't ride many rides, I get sick too easily. Younger daughter is too tall now to ride a lot of her favorite things, she's tall for her age so even though she's tall enough to ride the bigger rides now, she's not quite ready to. My son got a horrible nose bleed, the worst I've ever seen. The hotel beds were so hard it was like sleeping on a board, the pillows were so flat they were near nonexistent. So, I can't say that I enjoyed our trip which is sad because I do love going there. I guess the next time we go back we'll have to take friends.

One thing I realized is how much our family has changed. I don't have little kids anymore. I always loved taking them to the park, watching them ride the little rides, watching them smile and be so excited. And even though younger daughter would love to still ride those rides, she can't. So now everyone is going on the roller coasters while I sit out and wait. Or we sit and they argue because no one can agree.

The worst thing is I don't know how to handle these changes. I mean, you don't do the same things with big kids. Big kids aren't as easily pleased, it's harder to make them happy.

I remember back when I thought that I would never get out of the diaper stage, the stroller, the diaper bag, bottles. I remember wishing for them to outgrow all that, thinking it would be easier.

But it's not easier.

Sure, all my kids use the bathroom and don't suck a bottle. I don't need to lug around a stroller. I don't have to schedule my life around nap times.

Now I have to worry about boys, sex, bad choices in friends, MTV, drugs, alcohol, stds. Granted most of those things pertain to my oldest but the other two are following close behind.

It wasn't easy when they were little because little people are hard work.

Now it's more emotionally hard. Now I'm having mentally exhausted.

But life keeps moving, our kids keep growing and I have to adjust to how things are now. Of course, once I'm adjusted things will change again.

1 Comments:

Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

This was good for me to read today. I just got back from another nightmarish shopping trip with my 2 and 7 year old. My eldest son was fine, even helpful. My daughter was out of control. I told him later that I can wait until she's his age and we can actually GO places without public embarassment and having to lug the diaper bag. But, I realize it goes so fast that really I know I need to enjoy this time more. I do NOT look forward to having to worry about some of those teen issues at ALL!

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home