Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Well, my oldest made out ok yesterday. Once I got her home we sat down and had a long talk about the entire situation. She's at camp with several girls that she knows but not girls she would hang out with outside of camp. A couple of these girls she's known for a long, long time. These two girls in particular dress very boyish, they wear boys shorts, long t-shirts. They wear their hair long and in a pony tail. That's their style, that's what they like. My daughter likes to dress more girlish. She wears girls shorts and no, they are not booty shorts, she doesn't own a pair. She has long hair but likes to wear it up in this twisty kind of way that alot of the girls like. She's starting to like make up but doesn't wear too much because I don't allow her too and she doesn't need it. I know that I am biased but she is a pretty girl. She also looks a lot older than she is. She's changed a lot since the end of school, she's grown at least an inch in height and she's slimmed down. Well, these two girls are picking on her because she doesn't dress like them. They get in a huddle, talk about her, look at her and laugh and then try and suck up. If you're a girl, you know what I mean, you know the games girls play with each other.

I told her that she has to take back the power she has given those girls. If they are standing together, looking at her and laughing, she needs to turn her back to them or walk away if possible. They want her to stand there and watch them do that stuff, so it's time to not give them what they want.

This all started on Monday and carried over to Tuesday. Personally by Tuesday I would've been up in their faces, demanding they say it to my face but my daughter is not me. I wouldn't be surprised though if she reaches a breaking point and does end up losing it.

I swear though I feel like I'm 13 again, you know? It's amazing how very little has changed in how girls treat each other. I'm 34 so it's been awhile since I was 13 but it was just like that back then. I can remember how hard it was going through all that and watching her go through this just brings it back so vividly.

It also brings out that mamma bear instinct. I so want to tell her to say all these nasty things to those girls but everything I want to say is totally inappropriate. I'd love to be her for a week, I'd go on a mission and take care of all the crap.

But I can't. Instead I have to sit back and support her. I'd love to fight her battles for her but that wouldn't be helping her. I could let her stay home but she does love lacrosse and if she stays home, she's letting them take away something she enjoys. She can't let them do that, that's what they want. But it's so hard, I feel like I'm sending her into the lions den. Honestly though, she needs to learn to deal with this because she's a pretty girl with alot going for her so there will be girls that don't like her.

I dropped her off this morning, she was fine, we went over the different ways she could deal with things. We got there early and when I left she was in a big group passing the ball around. The mean girls didn't arrive until I was in my van ready to leave which is kinda funny, think that was God's way of keeping those huzzies out of my sight? I would never have said anything but I can't say that I wouldn't have shot a dirty look or two.

I'm having a Tupperware party tonight which I'm deeply regretting. Between work and getting kids to and from camp, I've barely been home. I don't even know who is coming. Watch it only be like one person or something. I could kick myself for doing it this week.

I guess everyone will just have to look past the dust.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home